Aligning IEPs to State Standards
NEW! User-Friendly Guide for Writing Meaningful IEPs Aligned to State Academic Standards
Federal regs require the IEP to be aligned to academic standards for the grade in which the student is enrolled, but this can be challenging when the student’s assigned grade level and academic/functional performance level differ. This book guides you through the process.
This current, practical resource explores the linkage between state and federal requirements, state standards, and general education curricula and shows how academic areas can be accessed while addressing the student’s IEP goals.
A clear framework for aligning IEP goals, assessment, and academic content for students with a moderate or severe intellectual or developmental disability is described. The book’s content focuses heavily on language arts and math, but also gives additional examples for science, social studies, self-determination, and assistive technology.
- Clearly defines how to align assessment, instruction, IEP goals, and academic standards
- Provides examples of IEP goals and objectives aligned to ELA, math, social studies, and science standards from various state standards, including but not limited to the common core state standards
- Illustrates concepts using case study examples of aligned IEPs for students with moderate and severe disabilities
- Provides suggestions for current assistive technology that will support students who are nonverbal, have physical disabilities, visual impairments, or other special needs
- Describes how to embed self-determination goals in a student’s IEP
Authors Ginerva Courtade, PhD, and Diane Browder, PhD. Softbound book, 158 pages, 2016.
Available as a printed book or as an Attainment eBook download! See the eBook tab above.
You might also be interested in Six Successful Strategies for Teaching State Standards or a combination of the two books in the Aligning IEPs Package.
Aligning IEPs to State Standards is available for reading on your iPad. Purchase and download the eBook edition directly to the iBooks* shelf on your iPad, or buy multiple downloads and send an access code to your students or teachers.
The Attainment Bookshelf
eBooks are delivered directly to your iPad from the Attainment Bookshelf – no file attachments or disks, and no need for side-loading your book onto your iPad through iTunes. After making an eBook purchase, you will receive an email message with a simple download link for placing the book on your iPad. When you buy multiple downloads for an eBook title, an email message gives you easy instructions for providing download links to each of your students or teachers. At the Attainment Bookshelf website, an account login allows you to see who has downloaded their book, and shows how many downloads are still available.
* iBooks is a free iPad app. It must be loaded from the Apple App Store before eBooks can be downloaded to your iPad.