Tab 1 - Letter Names and Sounds.
EPACC - Curriculum
Team up with classroom teachers to bridge phonemic awareness to phonics!
The Explicit Phonemic Alphabetic Connections Curriculum (EPACC) emphasizes fundamental skills that all early readers must master. The curriculum connects sounds in spoken words to letters of the alphabet, systematically and explicitly, to help beginning readers reach skill proficiency benchmarks.
ISBN: 1-57861-702-2Click here to see how this product aligns to state and national standards.
EPACC complements your core reading curriculum by making these important connections transparent to students who are at risk of reading difficulties. EPACC focuses on specific skills validated by research: phonemic awareness, alphabetic understanding and fluency with the alphabetic code.
- a single or multi-year program
- taught with systematic and explicit instruction in small groups or one-on-one
- presented to students in 20-minute sessions, 4 times a week
- for students in RTI 2, grades K-2
- for students with mild to moderate developmental or learning disabilities, grade K-6
- aligned to state and national standards, including the common core
EPACC incorporates principles of direct instruction such as a model-lead-test format, correction procedures and the opportunity for group and individual responses. Lessons are scripted and delivered in 20-minute sessions 4 times a week. The Scope and Sequence (see Samples tab for a PDF) begins at prekindergarten and ends at a 1.5 grade level. Based on the progress of your students, EPACC functions as a single or multi-year program. EPACC includes everything you need!
- Compartmentalized storage box to reduce prep time
Implementation Guide with Getting Started, Scope and Sequence, Assessment
Forms, and Research Synopsis
- 33 scripted activities (Tabs) in Teaching Steps Manual
- Lesson Designs book with lesson outlines, material lists, and extension activities
- 365 letter, word, sentence, and picture cards
- Hands-on instruction boards
- 7 theme-based game boards and pieces
- Stripe, the puppet
- Stretch, the slinky
- Let's Read storybooks
- Image library on CD
- Getting Started Staff training DVD
See the Videos tab above for video clips of the scripted activities in the Teaching Steps Manual. Click on the Samples tab for PDF samples pages from the Implementation Guide, Lesson Designs and Teaching Steps books, and also the entire Scope and Sequence of the EPACC Curriculum.
By Sister Mary Karen Oudeans, PhD, Professor of Special Education at Silver Lake College. Spiralbound books: Implementation Guide, 80 pages; Teaching Steps Manual, 34 pages; Lesson Designs book, 204 pages. 365 letter, word, sentence and picture cards; hands-on instruction boards; 7 theme-based game boards and pieces; a zebra puppet; Slinky®; Let's Read storybooks, image library on CD, and staff training DVD.
EPACC Research Foundations
- Based on 10 years of research by the author
- Incorporates National Reading Panel's guidelines for scientifically validated instructional methods
- Rooted in the author's award-winning study published in a peer reviewed journal
- Successfully field-tested in special education and general education classrooms