Access Algebra is a research-based math curriculum for high school students (ages 15–21) who have moderate-to-severe developmental disabilities, including those with an intellectual disability or autism. The curriculum gives students access to content their high school peers are learning, but with the adaptations and support they may need to succeed. The curriculum accommodates students who have unique needs, including those who are nonverbal and those whose math skills are at an
emergent numeracy level.
Access Algebra applies the research-based strategies of systematic and task analytic instruction with the use of graphic organizers and real-life math stories—a combination of strategies found to support problem solving that requires more complex thinking.
The curriculum has four units of study for a year-long algebra course:
- Descriptive Statistics (statistical analysis, data, dot plots, histograms, mode, mean)
- Exponents/Scientific Notation (base, exponent, power of)
- Linear Functions (linear equations, coordinate graphs, inverse operations)
- Quantitative Reasoning (proportional relationships, ratios)
All lessons include task analyses, graphic organizers, workbook activities, and manipulatives to allow students to solve the math story problems.
- The 40 lessons are scripted (including how to prompt students who are not responding and how to correct errors) so teaching complex math concepts is easy.
- Math story problems reflect scenarios typical of young adults (e.g., engaging in school and community events, looking for part-time work, or doing chores at home).
- Pre-teaching lessons in each unit address foundational skills students may be lacking or need review of—preparing students for learning the unit concepts.
- Lessons address the diverse needs of students in your classroom, including those at an early numeracy level or those ready for more challenge.
Curriculum Includes: 1 Student Book, 4 Instructor’s Guides with USB flash drive, 9 Graphic Organizers, manipulatives, and a set of 2 consumable Student Workbooks (1 for Units 1 and 2; 1 for Units 3 and 4).
Curriculum Plus Includes: The Curriculum plus a total of 20 consumable Student Workbooks (10 sets of 2), the GoWorksheet Maker App, a set of corresponding GoWorksheet activities, and samples of communication overlays.
|Author||Katherine Trela, PhD; Bree Jimenez, PhD; Alicia Saunders, PhD; Linda Schreiber, MS, CCC-SLP, BCS-CL|
|ISBN||978-1-57861-268-0, 978-1-57861-269-7, 978-1-57861-270-3, 978-1-57861-271-0, 978-1-57861-272-7, 978-1-57861-273-4, 978-1-57861-274-1|