The Tell Me Program focuses on a small set of high frequency words (core vocabulary) that children use throughout the day and helps teachers and speech and language pathologists structure lessons to teach and practice those words using research-supported strategies.
Using familiar books, such as I Went Walking (included) and No, David, preschool teams target core words in shared reading, shared writing, and classroom routines. The Tell Me program can be used with any AAC device, app, or system that includes core words like common verbs, pronouns, and prepositions. Parents are kept informed through weekly information packets. The Tell Me manual describes the approach, activities, and teaching methods. Authors Carole Zangari and Lori Wise included 11 book-specific packets that give step-by-step guidance on teaching 4–6 core words in large group, small group, and individual activities. Book packet materials available on included PDF USB drive.
11 book titles covered in program packets include:
- I Went Walking by Sue Williams
- From Head to Toe by Eric Carle
- Here are My Hands by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault
- What do You Like? by Michael Grejniec
- Go Away, Big Green Monster! by Ed Emberley
- No, David! by David Shannon
- Come Out and Play, Little Mouse by Robert Kraus
- The Lunch Box Surprise by Grace Maccarone
- If You're Angry And You Know It by Cecily Kaiser
- Max's Breakfast by Rosemary Wells
- Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Eric Carle
Book by Carole Zangari, PhD, CCC-SLP and Lori Wise, MS, Spiralbound, 165 pages, ©2017. Includes USB Flash drive for printouts.